UPDATE May 29, 2013: We’re all out of devices at the moment, so you cannot participate in this promotion any longer. Please keep an eye out for future promotions and thanks to all participants for making this another success!
We have a small amount of Nokia Lumia 820 developer phones available, which you can get by building apps. The phones are Nokia developer devices, which are all black, and are set to receive updates before regular retail phones.
Because of the nature of the phones, they cannot be resold and you receive them from Microsoft as a loaner device, but we’re sure you’ll love them and wouldn’t want to part with them anyway. The terms and conditions to get a device are listed below.
To get one of these Nokia Lumia 820 developer phones, follow these simple rules:
- Let us know you are participating at the Windows Phone Support NL e-mail address (email@example.com). Make sure you include “Build apps for Windows Phone – April” in the subject.
- Publish four apps to the Windows Phone Store with a developer account registered in the Netherlands
- The apps should be available as a native Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 build (so separate builds). Tips on how to do this are listed below
- Once you have 3 apps published and available, let us know your publisher name and app links at the Windows Phone Support NL e-mail address, so we can reserve your phone (make sure you include “Build apps for Windows Phone – April” in the subject. We have a limited amount of phones, so we’ll update this blog post when we’re out
- You have until June 10 2013 to have all 4 apps published and available in the Windows Phone Store and let us know your publisher name and app links at the Windows Phone Support NL e-mail address
- Only apps that are published after April 19 2013 are eligible, so your existing apps don’t count unfortunately
- We are expecting to ship the devices on June 1 2013 at the earliest, so please keep this in mind. We will, however, reserve the devices on a first come, first serve basis
If you have any questions or ideas, please let us know, we’re happy to help. If you’re wondering how to build Windows Phone apps without a phone, you’ll be happy to know that the emulators in our developer tools are very good to test your apps. Furthermore, you’re welcome at our office in Schiphol every 2 weeks for our app consultation hours. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about the app consultation hours.
Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8
As mentioned above, one of the requirements we have is that your app is available as a Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 version. I have a Windows Phone starting template available that provides a base architecture to accomplish a Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 version of your app with shared source code. The reasoning behind this requirement is to provide users with the best experience possible on their device and to maximize the reach of your app.
In summary, start building apps and let us know when 3 of your apps are published in the Windows Phone Store, so we can reserve your phone. Publish all 4 apps before June 10 2013 to get a Nokia Lumia 820 Windows Phone. If you miss this date, we will start approaching people on the back-up list, so it’s always useful to submit your apps and let us know.